Discover New Blogs
The exceedingly kind AFortnightAway nominated me for the Liebster Award. Whoever came up with this award, bravo to you. This idea is exceptional. And thank you to A Fortnight Away for nominating me! You can check out her blog here.
The intention of the award is to create a way for blogs to share their work with each other. Once you’ve been nominated, you pay it forward to a few other small blogs so that they can build a following. It’s hard to get your voice out there when you first start blogging. Sometimes it just feels disingenuous trying to share your writing to as many places as you can, as quickly as you can. I think this is a great way to build actual relationships with other bloggers who are in the same boat as you.
Here are the rules:
1. Thank and Link the person who nominated you
2. Answer 11 random facts about yourself
3. Answer the 11 questions given to you by the nominator
4. Nominate up to 11 other bloggers who have 1000 followers or less on their blog
5. Create 11 new questions for your nominees to answer
6. Let the nominees know that your post is up
11 Facts about me
They’re probably all going to be about babies. Sorry…not sorry?
1. I have an 18 month old son named Jack. He’s nothing like I expected him to be. Babies are supposed to be cuddly and affectionate. He wants none of that. He’s made it crystal clear that he doesn’t need a damn thing from us other than food, but he’s the greatest thing. He’s incredibly independent and determined. He’s kind and gentle with other children and he is always smiling…except when he’s not. When he’s not, he is hiding in a corner from us and yelling.
I promise that was the longest one. It had to be, I just love um.
2. I am 25 and my husband is 23. Make the jokes ladies but your old men are gonna die before mine.
3. I almost never finish a glass of wine. I try, for the sake of socializing but my taste buds just aren’t classy enough yet. I’ll get there friends. For now, gin will have to do.
4. I have yet to meet a piece of cake I didn’t like.
5. I put out an ‘album’ once. It is the bane of my existence. I have hidden all of the copies in my closet and Matt won’t let me throw them out. Relatives still ask for that thing.
6. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
7. It’s real cold here mostly always.
8. When I found out I was pregnant, we had bought the test as a joke. Matt brought it home with a bag of Salt & Vinegar chips. We never ate that bag of chips.
9. I am a ride or die Celine Dion’ fan.
10. I realized yesterday that I have more outfits comprised of leggings or sweatpants and tee shirts than outfits I could wear in public without being shamed. Honestly though, nothing feels better than changing out of pyjamas and realizing you’re basically just changing into a fresh pair of pyjamas.
11. Friends of mine bought me a Dyptique candle for my birthday and I have yet to light it. It just sits on my dresser and I look at it, a lot, and then sometimes walk by and smell it. I can’t bring myself to light it. It’s too beautiful.
11 Questions by afortnightaway
1. What are your networking tips for other bloggers?
Pfft, hell if I know. No, I was actually just talking with a friend about this yesterday. I have no interest in things like follow for follow or like for like. I’ve done it. Like I said, it feels disingenuous. I will gladly participate in a blog sharing group but I’m not going to follow anyone unless I can be involved with what they write. By involved I mean, reading and enjoying and commenting. I want conversation with people. I want feedback and to give feedback. I’ve never been a small talker.
2. What’s your favourite book?
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Because Kurt Vonnegut.
3. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
I wanted a blog with a name that could represent where I’m from but not completely tie my content to it. I originally came up with River and Stone because I live in Edmonton, a city with a gorgeous river valley that it’s known for. Stone was just meant to represent the buildings and streets that make up the city. Matt told me River and Stone wasn’t as catchy as Stream and Stone. It wasn’t as versatile. He was right, so there it is.
4. To which kind of music do you listen?
That is such a proper way to ask a question. I love that. To which.
I listen to sad music. It’s just sad. Almost all of it. I love Noah Gundersen, Jeff Buckley, Lana Del Rey, Ray Lamontagne. That’s what I’ve been listening to the most lately. I do however like a good Yonce’ run through every now and again.
5. What do you do for a living? Are you in School?
I dropped out of university to make money so that I could marry Matt, he did the same. Romance at its prime people. I stay at home now with Jack. Matt is an Instrument tech and programmer for an oilfield contracting company.
6. How did your family and friends react when you’ve told them about your blog?
I’m not sure I’ve really ‘told’ anyone. I just spam their Facebook feeds hoping that they will read it and think I’m smart.
7. Is there one blog you think I should definitely know about?
There are many. I would say that I can’t live without ‘Everyday Feminism‘. It has shaped so much of my understanding about justice and about the injustices of women and minorities. The writers over there are incredibly articulate. The humour is also on point.
9. What are three things you can’t live without?
A goodnight kiss from Jack, A good morning kiss from Matt and Dominos pizza.
10. Which languages do you speak?
English and Baby.
11. What do you find most challenging about blogging?
Niches. I hate being pigeonholed. I want to write about everything that I feel passionate about. Whether that be social injustice, or products that work for my lifestyle or that time Jack dropped his poop behind the change table and it landed on the tangle of chords (not an easy clean).
So sorry if you’ve already been nominated. Maybe just take a peek at the other blogs to give them your support.
1. Steph at Phantasm
2. Amanda at Life’s too Short Buy the Shoes
3. Junelle at Everything About Her
4. Mirissa at Mirissa Price
5. Helen at Little Hels B
6. Kacey at Tortoiseshell Glasses
7. Natalie at The Girl in the Little Black Dress
8. Kelly at Paper Meets Pearl
9. Eleanor at The Lipstick, The Girl and Her Wardrobe
10. Katie at Katie Mary Graves
11. Joelle at Clothes but not Quite
1. What do you find the most difficult about networking?
2. Favorite tv show to binge?
3. What do you do for a living? Are you in school?
4. What are 3 of your favourite blogs and why?
5. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
6. Have you made any significant connections through blogging and networking?
7. Your favourite topic to blog about and why?
8. How do you spend your days (or nights) off?
9. What is your go to social media site?
10. The 3 things you can’t live without?
11. What is the best piece of advice you’ve received as a blogger/writer?